April182014

We transplanted the hops from the front yard to the south facing backyard back in March. My husband Nick had created a Hugelkulture trench type deal last year in anticipation of their move. Then realizing how happy they were in their new location, (i.e. getting pretty tall and in need of support) we got to planning/building the trellis.

My parents had a free Saturday and donated their time and pickup truck to haul our lumber home. We ended up going to home depot as I found a dusty, partially used gift card in our “junk drawer” (SCORE). The posts are 4x4x12 and cost $13.53 each, we bought four of them for two trellis’. We also ended up purchasing some eye screws $6.72, galvanized wire $6.25, and four bags of concrete $14.04. This project cost $81.13 and it makes me wish I had a coppicing or pollarding tree to harvest lumber from! 

We have Fuggle, Glacier, Willamette, Cascade, and Nugget varietals racing up to the sky on their new support wires! 

April172014

Taking a sunny opportunity to plan and collect ideas in my garden journal. There is always so much to do and I always forget to make a list. What ends up happening is I go out to start one project then see 30 others and get myself thoroughly distracted and accomplish nothing significant. Now they are all in that notebook and I can check them off! I LOVE checking things off. This year will be better, and I truly believe that statement this time. 

April162014

Malcolm found some kale and peas poking up in the raised beds today! Very exciting for both of us I’m sure. These were sown directly on April 7th because that is when the farmers almanac said to do it with the moon cycle and customized planting chart. 

12PM

So I get super excited about spring and sunshine, a little too excited. I took the picture of our starts then started another project and left them in that sunshine too long. Poor burned leaves! I am glad some of them are recovering though. While I was thinning the tomatoes I decided to see if I could push my luck and plant them early instead of tossing them in the compost. 

All of the tomatoes, cucumbers and beans were started from seeds we saved last summer, fingers crossed they bear fruit. 

12AM
Malcolm was “helping” me with the cucumber trellis. Really he just loves to dig for the dirt clods and then chew them up. He’s a goof ball. Old fence panels were used to form a teepee type structure for the cucumbers to climb up. Ill plant some celery or greens in their shade later on. I added some purchased mushroom compost $5 and general purpose compost $8 to our native soil. I split one bag of each between four rows. Bungee cords  were found in the basement “junk drawer”. Total cost for this project $13

Malcolm was “helping” me with the cucumber trellis. Really he just loves to dig for the dirt clods and then chew them up. He’s a goof ball. Old fence panels were used to form a teepee type structure for the cucumbers to climb up. Ill plant some celery or greens in their shade later on. I added some purchased mushroom compost $5 and general purpose compost $8 to our native soil. I split one bag of each between four rows. Bungee cords  were found in the basement “junk drawer”. Total cost for this project $13

April152014

Our parking strip was a mess. Now it is less of a mess. I am debating what to plant here this year if anything… the neighborhood dogs like this area quite a bit and their owners don’t like to clean up their messes. 

3PM
Nick built these raised bed boxes for me out of scrap wood we had laying about and a few old windows from my childhood home and leftover deck screws. I need to do a little more work on the windows, currently they are propped up by leftover nursery pots and could use a good cleaning. I am excited to see how they work for us. I used two bags of purchased mushroom $5 and general purpose compost $8 along with native soil to fill the beds. Cost = $24.

Nick built these raised bed boxes for me out of scrap wood we had laying about and a few old windows from my childhood home and leftover deck screws. I need to do a little more work on the windows, currently they are propped up by leftover nursery pots and could use a good cleaning. I am excited to see how they work for us. I used two bags of purchased mushroom $5 and general purpose compost $8 along with native soil to fill the beds. Cost = $24.

3PM

Photos from March 2014. I get so excited with the first signs of spring! My garlic survived the squirrels and the snow, rosemary was/is blooming, the chickens were happy with the spring bugs and I got some things started in a windowsill. My sister even let me help her plant an apartment sized herb garden! 

3PM

I have been hoarding photos for the past few months… This group is from February 2014. We tackled the wet basement problem via a French Drain. It was a big project but I am glad we did it. I also learned I am pretty good with a crowbar and screwdriver when it comes to fixing flat tires! 

October172013
This is the old lady of the coop, Bertha.

This is the old lady of the coop, Bertha.

← Older entries Page 1 of 3